NYS DOT Regulation

Dear Fellow New Yorker,

As someone about to move, the information in this booklet is important to you. You should read it thoroughly so you will know what you may expect from the mover and what the mover expects of you. It is designed to furnish you with the information necessary to keep you from making mistakes which could result in loss of your time and money. The Department of Transportation regulates the practices of carriers of household goods within New York State and requires that this booklet be given to you. You should contact your mover and/or visit their facility, if you have further questions.
The following are major sources of misunderstanding and difficulty when moving:
(1) Obtaining an Authorized Mover Every mover authorized by the Department must, in its advertising or soliciting, give its name, certificate number and address. Be wary of any mover who provides only a telephone number and cannot give you its certificate number.
(2) Cost of Service The cost of your move is determined by the rates in the mover=s tariff which is on file with the Department. Some movers may give you a written statement of probable cost (estimate), after looking over your household effects. If the final cost exceeds the amount in this statement substantially, the mover must, at your request, give you 15 days to pay the balance of the excess, as provided in our regulations.
(3) Liability of the Mover Movers are not liable for the full value of lost or damaged goods unless special arrangements are made. Have the mover explain what the minimum standard liability is, and how you may get additional protection.
(4) Claims You must have proof of your claim. The best proof will be written notations on the shipping papers made at the time of delivery.
(5) Pickup and Delivery Dates If the mover cannot make the pickup or delivery at the time and date you have agreed upon, the mover must notify you of the delay and of the new date or period of time when the pickup or delivery will be made.
To avoid these and other problems, and to help ensure a smooth move, you should carefully read this booklet which covers, for your benefit and protection, many subjects and questions relating to your shipment of household goods.
The Department of Transportation can be of assistance to you by requiring the mover to take timely action on your claim. However, it has no authority to determine whether the mover is liable in particular circumstances, or the amount necessary to repair or replace articles cannot be decided by the Department of Transportation. If you cannot reach a satisfactory settlement, your recourse is a civil action in court or arbitration.
Movers are required to file evidence of insurance with the Department of Transportation. This assures the payment of any claims for which the mover may be liable. You may obtain the name of a mover=s insurance company by writing to the:
Department of Transportation
Office of Safety and Security Services
Also, movers are required to designate an agent for the service of legal process in every state through which they operate. Thus, if it should be necessary, you can commence legal action by serving the appropriate papers on the designated agent. The name of a mover=s process agent can be obtained also by writing the Department of Transportation. If you obtain a judgment from a Court, the mover must pay it within 60 days unless execution is stayed or arrangements for payment have been made.
The Department of Transportation sincerely hopes that this booklet has been of assistance and that you have a safe, enjoyable move.
If you have questions that have not been addressed in this booklet, please contact the department at: